Monday, November 21, 2011

Christmas Itch

Like everyone it seems, once it snowed, Steve and I got the Christmas itch. I've had it for sometime now but denied myself the satisfaction of putting up the tree, listening to Christmas music, or even enjoying a nice holiday Apple Cider.

But when it snowed Saturday I could no longer deny my craving. I called Steve up and literally begged and pleaded... even a little bribing happened to put up some beautiful, cheery Christmas decor.

He gave in which surprisingly didn't take much convincing!

Our house is now filled with gold and silver, garland, lights, ribbon, Christmas balls and endless hand-me-downs of Christmas decor and a few of Kirklands finest. If you are wondering what Kirklands is? Shame on you. Only the best cheapest decorating store ever! I limit my entry into this store. It gets me in trouble.

Starting out the Christmas decorating can be a little rough though. For instance, you have to pull every thing out of storage... not so bad. But then the painstaking getting the lights to work and fluffing the tree start. Steve usually tackles the lights. There are at least a few strands each year that need to be replaced. But being tightwads, Steve plugs in every strand to make sure they work and when they don't, he goes through every light on that strand to see if one is missing, burnt out, or loose to see if he can then fix it. Sadly, we had to say goodbye to 3 strands this year.

During this time Steve usually starts to get a little upset and frustrated. I don't blame him... that would stink!!! That is why I'm glad I'm good at fluffing. I'm only good at this job b/c my sisters and even Mom would get A.D.D. and start another task usually watching Home Alone and leave me to fulfill my duty of fake Christmas tree perfectionist.

P.S. Fluffing is taking a matted Christmas tree from storage and reviving it to its full fluffy self.

Oh and this is Steve saying thanks to our friend Dave who bought this tree when Steve and him were roommates but then was forced to leave this country b/c he was Canadian and thus had to leave this wonderful tree in our possession. Love and miss you!


Anyway, when you finally get those the lights and fluffing out of the way... Christmas decorating is glorious. And usually a two day event. Saturday we put up the tree and decorated it and then hung the rest of the garland and lights. Then by the time that is done, Steve and I have usually have gotten too silly and weird to continue so we popped in a Christmas movie, Transformers. This leaves me to finish decorating the following day.

I've never seen Transformers and it was pretty good. Steve saw half b/c he fell asleep on the couch. If I posted a pic of Steve on the couch... I would not have a happy camper on my hands. So I'll describe in full detail. Please picture it. It's hilarious to see.

This is a plad love seat... not even couch. I can only sleep on this couch in a fetal position. So yes, it's small. Steve though, can fall asleep anywhere. He usually rests his head just below the arm rest half hanging off the couch. Not even on a pillow! His left leg is left straight hanging off the opposite arm rest while the right leg is elevated and sticking out over the top of the coach. How does he do this?

1 comment: