Thursday, April 12, 2012

Better Than Dairy Queen

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. A little secret that led my sisters and I to think my mom was the greatest mom in the whole wide world. Even better than Marry Poppins. I even have Steve fooled thinking that I'm the greatest wife. In fact, if I do this... I can get him to do just about anything. Even vacuum out my car.

Ice Cream Shakes.

Steve even said this was way better than Dairy Queen! Who's the queen now Mr. Dairy.

This girl!

Anyways, Mom used to make these for us almost every Sunday night. We'd skip a nutritious home cooked meal and sit down to a movie (usually Little Mermaid or a James Bond or Die Hard when we got older) with endless bowls of popcorn with extra butter and Chocolate Shakes.

It was the best ever!

It made my childhood.

So I've tried to keep this tradition for Steve and I and someday Baby D and our endless amounts of kids. I started off really well. We got married and then sat down almost every Sunday with a shake. Well 1 month later with 20 lbs of extra fat, we decided we needed to limit our intake.

Now instead of every Sunday it's a random treat for both of us. And a treat indeed.

So last Sunday after a weekends worth of hard work around the house, we decided to indulge in these delicious shakes. I grabbed the tub of ice cream (which Schwans is the best but we don't have it around here so Kemps did for now), added a little milk, a whole bunch of Hershey' chocolate syrup and my little hand mixer.

My hand mixer really isn't that great. I think I bought it in college for $10. So now every time I use it I get variable speeds. And on hard things to mix like.... ice cream... it usually sounds like a dead cat and about dies and smokes up in flames. Just a little added taste though.

But I mix all these special ingredients together until it's nice and smooth. Pour it in a glass. Top with some whip cream and decorate it oh so fun with more chocolate syrup. Sometimes I'll even get really adventurous and add Chocolate chips to just the top or get really crazy and add it to the ice cream. Whoa!

But no cherries. We are not cherry people.

It's like heaven in a glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment